You may have a life insurance policy that you have had for some years and may no longer need for personal or financial reasons. Or you may wish to make a gift to VIU but not have the capital to make the investment you’d like. In these cases, there may be an opportunity to make a significant gift to VIU through a life insurance policy:
- by naming VIU as beneficiary on your current policy
- by creating a new policy naming VIU the beneficiary
- by donating the policy to VIU, instructing the insurance company to make VIU the owner and beneficiary of the policy; in this instance you are entitled to a charitable tax deduction in the year you transferred the policy equal to the cash value of the policy.
Benefits to You
- receive a tax receipt
- avoid probate gifts of life insurance are less susceptible to being contested than a charitable bequest, and provide privacy
- designate your gift to a University priority that meets your interest, such as scholarships, capital projects, programs and research
The staff of the Advancement & Alumni Relations Office will work closely and confidentially with you and your advisors to ensure your planned gift suits your financial and philanthropic needs. Please contact Jason Coates, Advancement & Alumni Relations Office, Major Gifts and Legacies at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 250.740.6258.