The Difference Your Donations Can Make
- 52,177 people being helped across Central & Northern Vancouver Island & Powell River
- 10 effective coalitions/networks convened
- 4 research reports conducted
- 90 service agencies supported
- 116 social service programs funded
- 100% donations stay in your local community
How Far a Donation Goes
Your donation helps meet the needs of the most vulnerable people in your community. You give them a better future. You build a stronger, healthier place to live.
- $5 provides a meal to someone who is homeless, giving refuge in a safe environment
- $70 funds nutritious snacks for 100 kids at an after-school program
- $100 provides an isolated senior with a weekly visit for three months
- $365 supports a woman who has experienced violence with 16 weeks of group therapy
- $1,200 prevents 2 families from becoming homeless through short-term rent subsidies
Affordable Housing and Homelessness
In 2018, 335 people in Nanaimo are experienced absolute homelessness* -- this is nearly double from the 2016 statistics. Unaffordable rent is the #1 challenge in finding housing.
According to statistics, 14% of people are without access to enough affordable, nutritious food*.
Almost 1 in 4 children live in poverty in Powell River and in Cowichan*.
- Fund programs that help kids get the best start in life by supporting vulnerable kids, youth and parents
- Collaborate on the Success by 6 initiative, which provides kids with a good start in life
- Fund programs that support people facing isolation and help them connect to programs and community
- Conduct research to understand community needs and develop strategic plans for the future
- Fund programs that break the cycle of poverty and empower people to achieve success
- Manage the collaborative Homelessness Partnership Strategy with several Central Island programs working to end homelessness
Your Support of United Way is Invested in:
Basic needs are met and vulnerable people have opportunities to achieve financial stability.
Children reach developmental milestones, build a strong sense of self, and are empowered.
Mental health and well-being are enhanced, and people are able to fully participate in their communities.
Lives You’ve Changed
Learn about the lives you've helped improve in the Central and Northern Vancouver Island region. The Powell River and District United Way has additional programs in each of the focus areas listed.