What we do
The Communications and Public Engagement Office tells the stories of Vancouver Island University. We build awareness about VIU with audiences both on and off campus. Through our work, we encourage a culture of celebration, enhance the University’s reputation, and support initiatives to attract and retain students.
Our responsibilities include:
- Promoting faculties, programs, and departmental areas by telling stories through a series of communication channels (media releases/social media posts/internal and external publications.)
- Promoting and supporting internal communications.
- Supporting cross-departmental communications.
- Building relationships with media.
- Developing and supporting communications plans for faculties and departments.
- Supporting the University’s community engagement activities.
- Managing and advising on issues that impact the University community.
Communications and Public Engagement also operates the Welcome Centre in Building 300 at VIU’s Nanaimo Campus, available to assist with general queries about Vancouver Island University and how to access our programs and services.