Do you have a story you want an audience external to the VIU community to hear about?
The Communications and Public Engagement team is happy to help. We tell stories about VIU to boost awareness of the University’s programs, students, instructors, events and much more. Our stories also bolster VIU’s efforts to recruit and retain students.
We get these stories out to external audiences in several ways, including:
- Publications such as VIU Magazine and the annual Research Highlights Report.
- Media releases.
- Pitching stories to and facilitating interviews with local, regional and national media.
- Social media campaigns.
- News.viu.ca website.
- Content for digital/print advertising.
We are happy to assist with any media calls you receive. The Communications team is dedicated to building relationships with local and national media contacts and we are the first contact for information about the university. Our media relations services include:
- Arranging interviews with students or employees.
- Media relations training.
- Assistance with messaging.
- Media Relations Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to access our services
- Send us story ideas for the Job Request system.
- Talk to a Communications Officer. Not sure who? Each Communications Officer has Areas of Responsibilities (see below).
Communications Team Areas of Responsibility
Director, Communications and Public Engagement (Acting for Janina Stajic until December 2019)
Office phone: 250.740.6288 | Cell: 250.618.4326 | Dan.Hurley@viu.ca
- Communications and Public Engagement Strategy (External/Internal)
- Media Relations Strategy and Training
- Issue Management
- Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives
- Communications Staff and Resources
- Support for President's Office and President's Council
- Managing Editor, VIU Publications
External Communications Advisor
Office phone: 250.740.6559 | Cell: 250.619.6860 | Jenn.McGarrigle@viu.ca
- General Media Inquiries
- Media Requests for President Deborah Saucier and Senior Administrators
- Aboriginal Education and Engagement
- Advancement and Alumni Relations
- Facilities and Ancillary Services
- Future Students (Recruitment)
- Health and Safety
- Library Services
- Student Affairs
- VIU Magazine Editor
Office Phone: 250.740.6560 | Cell: 250.618.0373 | Rachel.Stern@viu.ca
- Parksville/Qualicum Centre
- Milner Gardens and Woodland
- Deep Bay Marine Field Station
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity
- Centre for Innovation in Education and Learning
Office phone: 250.740.6673 | Cell: 250.619.1088 | Rae-Anne.Guenther@viu.ca
- Cowichan Campus
- Powell River Campus
- Faculty of Academic and Career Preparation
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Health and Human Services
- Faculty of International Education
- Faculty of Management
- Faculty of Trades and Applied Technology
- Sport, Recreation and Physical Literacy
- VIU Mariners
- VIU Research Report Editor